Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Ed note: The War is almost over for these correspondents

Please excuse the break in getting letters onto the blog, I was busy preparing for and caring for my newborn daughter, Suzanne Frances, Colina and Donald's latest great, great grand daughter.

The last 2 letters posted up here, "French Photograpghy" and Lord Kitchener Goes Down" were the last that I needed to transcribe. The remaining material was transcribed earlier, so I will photograph it in my usual badly amateurish manner and complete this blog.

From there, the plan is still to do something more fitting to memorialise the letters, the men who wrote them, and "Nan" to me, otherwise referred to fondly as the subject of all of these letters, who must have written a hundred more letters herself.

Any ideas would be welcome, but for the moment we would like to self publish a book that let's the material shine for itself. With or without transcriptions? I don't know. I have felt personally enriched by transcribing the letters.

For anyone interested, I found a link today about some current projects looking at preserving family WWI histories http://www.dontforgetthediggers.com.au/our-mission.asp
I stumbled across the site by accident while trying to ascertain if the place name at the top of "Lord Kitchener   Goes Down" was spelled correctly. I have only given it a glance myself so far, but it looks very interesting, and I will be getting on board. If you have any old photos or records, you should too.

I will do my best to get the remaing material up over the next few days. Thanks for your patience, if there is anyone out there..


No comments:

Post a Comment