Tuesday, February 11, 2014

"Heliopolis" A. Guthrie


Heliopolis (Cairo)

 

6-2-16

 

Dear Colina,

Just had a letter from you from Dingley (?).  I have not had many letters so far.  I don’t know where they get there.  I have been back in camp for a week since I had the measles and have settled down again.  I was out at the zoo yesterday with my mates they have an awfully fine giraffe there + a few other fine animals.

We have been trying to get to the pyramids since we got here but haven’t had a chance till today & are going out this afternoon.  There are a lot of places about here that are mentioned in the bible that we can get guides to take us to & that will be interesting to see.

We had a good tea at a French restaurant in Cairo last night.  I met Les Merkel in a camp near ours & my mate and I are trying to get a transfer & into the engineers.  It will be a lot better if we can.  It is easy to in the Camel Corps but I don’t fancy them at all.  The Nile is a fine river & there is a fine lot of green stuff of all discriptions(sic) growing about.  Such a difference from the desert where we are camped near.  We are getting better food now and can buy a meal now & again in Heliopilis (sic)  We are going in Cairo tomorrow for a fortnight on duty and will have a look around.  There is nothing much more to tell you so will close with best wishes.

Remember me to all

Yours Sincerely

A Guthrie











1 comment:

  1. We can probably assume that this is the person mentioned in Don's letter below, and that he didn't lose an arm, as there are more letters from him after this, and no mention of such an injury. Dani

    ReplyDelete