Thursday, February 13, 2014

"The Mumps" A Guthrie

D Corp (4196)

1st Pioneer Batt

1st Aus Div

On Service Abroad

 

In Hospital

France

10/6/16

 

Dear Colina,

As I am having an enforced holiday through catching the mumps I thought I had better drop you a line.  I haven't had much time for writing as we have had plenty to do, Besides, there is so little to write about, a letter takes such a lot of thinking out, I will be in here for three weeks anyhow.  My face was very much swollen the first 6 days but is going down now.  You would laugh at the shape it was.  One thing that is very acceptable here is the good bed.  It was lovely getting between the sheets.  I met Eric Williamson over here one day.  He looks splendid, and a lot stronger than he used to in Rushworth.  He is about the only one I've struck.  He told me Chris used to be in his battalion but was transferred into another and I don't know where he would be now.

The weather over here is very changeable & is very cold at times.  I don't like the thought of putting in a winter here at all.  We stick to the thought of getting home for next Christmas, and hope we do.  My mates reckon I was awfully lucky getting the mumps, as they view the 3 weeks isolation as a holiday.  I would like to get back in about 2, as it gets monotonous in these places.  We get the English paper here the day after it is printed, so we do alright for news.  There was a little excitement in the place last week when the news about the navy & Lord Kitchener was in.  I suppose it created a bit a stir over there too.  We are badly off for mail.  I had a couple from Vic but nothing from you or at home.  It is a long time now since I heard from you & haven't had one from home since the first week in March.  It is too long altogether.  The men they have looking after the letters are too slow altogether.  We never get much Australian news over here but there are a good few recruiting and a good number in the Castlemaine camp.  I caught a glimpse of Hughes when he was passing in a motor.  He spent a good while over here.  I would a lot sooner be over here than in Egypt.  We get better fed over here too.  The Germans were a bit lively where we work one night last week & some poor chaps were buried through the artillery.  I didn't have to go out as I was on fatigue the next day.  There were some nasty sights I believe.

Well Colina I am about stumped for news and will have to close.  Remember me to everybody  & let us hope it won't be long before I am back to see you all again.

 

Yours Sincerely

A. Guthrie







1 comment:

  1. No mention of the poor old fox abroad. I wonder what happened to him when they left Egypt.

    ReplyDelete