Tuesday, February 11, 2014

"Old News" Don Anderson

Undated (envelope is postmarked 1916)
 
Dear Colina,
Your two letters reached hear last week.  I was pleased to hear from you.  I wrote to you from England & from hear but you had not got them by your letters.  I sent you a postcard also.  Doll said she only received one letter from me since I have been away.  Well I got sick of writing to her when I did not get any answer.  But my mail will come hear all right now as they will know where to send it on to.  We had a fine lot of xmas boxes sent to us & they were just the thing.  I must write a reply to mine today.  I have not met anyone from Rushworth hear yet.  But I suppose their kicking about somewhere hear.  You come across them when you don't expect to see them.  You must have had heavy rains, I hope it don't spoil the crops.  We are just about in mid Winter Hear & the days are very short.  I won't be sorry when the Spring sets in.
I wrote to Lucy.  Is she still at the same place?  As I addressed the letter in care of Lucy Spence & I hope it don't go astray you may tell her if she don't get it.  Just address any letters c/- Batt. A.I.F. France that is all you need put down now and I will get them without any trouble. You might tell Doll if you see her, to put the same.  I suppose Tom will be over by now.  He will find plenty of news to write back.  I would like to see some of the letters he will write.  You cannot write anything much from hear, or I would give you a good account of what I have seen in my travels over hear.  But you will have to wait awhile yet.  I hope you all spent a merry xmas.  We had some plum pudding for ours, and so we did not do so bad after all.  I have not heard anything more about Alec Guthrie It cannot be true about him losing his arm, or you would have known, so I hope it's not true.  Cris will soon be back down hear now.  We have woollen coats and gloves to wear now for the Winter & they are tip top for the cold weather.
I suppose there all busy with the harvest now.  Did you have much crop in?  How is Mick getting on?  Have they had a go at the fishing yet?  It's out of the question hear, so I will have to make up for it when I come back.  I did not get the Age you sent.  The Whale Lucy mentioned must of got it instead of me.  It will be late news to read when I get it.  But we don't know what day it is sometimes so it won't make much difference how old the papers are, we are glad to get them.
Well Colina, I have not given you much news so I will try and give you more next letter & you will have to excuse these few lines.  There is such a noise going on I cannot write much so I must ring off.
I remain Yours Truely
Don






No comments:

Post a Comment