Wednesday, July 16, 2014

"Lord Kitchener Goes Down" Jack G(uthrie?) undated



Tel el Kebir
Egypt

Dear Colina
Just a few lines hoping to find you well as it leaves me at present. I have not had a letter from you in such a long time. I have not had any mail since I left the 8 Btn March and it is now June. I had to go to hospital the day the 8 Btn left for France. I thought I would be going to England last week so I wrote to your cousin Cathie Spence in Scotland. I told her that Lucy had asked me to go and see her if I ever got to England. I don't know whether I will be going there or not but I am living in hope. We have just heard the sad news about the HMS Hampshire going down with Lord Kitchener and all his staff in board. Well Colina there is nothing to write home about so I will draw this note to a close.
Hoping to hear from you soon.
Fond love
From Jack G

Ps Tell Lucy that I have written to your cousin over. I have not seen your cousin Chris lately. I think he has gone to some other Btn. I am full up to the sick of Egypt. I would sooner be in action again which I think I will soon  but I don't know if I can get back to the eight again but I hope so.
Jack


No comments:

Post a Comment