Saturday, March 22, 2014

"News from Home" L.Spence


France
May 8th, 1918

Dear Colina,
Just a few lines to let you know that I received your welcome letter this week & was pleased to hear that you are all in the best of health as it leaves me the same at present. You were saying hat George and your father having been doing a lot of contract work lately though it (h)as been that much rain it put them back a bit. It is a good thing to have so much rain early in the year, it look(s) like the signs of a good season. That's one thing we don't see over hear (sic), a good dry season. The grass is green all the year round. The country over hear is looking beautiful at present. It is the beginning of Spring, so it will give you an idea of what it's like.

I had a letter from Ethel the other day & she was saying that Ivor is getting a terror to (ed: can't decipher word) well she cannot expect much else from a boy at this age & I suppose he picks it up when he goes in home off the other boys.
She was saying that she (h)as her hands full now, she cannot go into the town just when she likes, she (h)as to get someone to drive her, so she won't like that. I see by her letter that they have taken to milk a few cows. I don't think that will last too long, she will soon get tired. What do you think? I no (sic) Ethel, it is alright while the weathers good & when the winter comes she will let them go and look after themselves.
I had a letter from Mum this week & she was saying that the Dr told her that she would have to take things easy for a few more months before she would be alright. She seemed to (ed note: portion of paper torn away, words missing from this line) ....... the one time it is to be hoped it's all over for some time to let her get strong.

I had  a letter from Violet the other day & she was telling me all about the trip to Tasmania & what a good time they spent. It is a wonder Any (?) went for a holiday so soon after her husband's death.

I bet Lucy is having a good time of it while George is over hear, she will make things hum for a while.

I had a letter from Cathie the other day & she wished to be remembered to you all when I wrote. They are all in the best of health.

You was saying that Dug wrote me a letter, I&wonted (sic) to no when I am going to answer it. Well tell him I have not received it yet to answer but it might come along at any time.
You were saying that the old town is looking up a bit when it can run (a) motor garage. The new form will be doing Mc a little harm now they have taken on these sorts of things. You was saying that Cris is home, well I only wish I had half his luck. I suppose it won't effect him from going back to the school teaching.

We are living on the fat of the land over hear just at present, plenty of poultry and pork, they are what the French people left behind when the push was on.
Well that's all the news at present .
Remember to all.
With the best of love
From your loving cousin Leslie




No comments:

Post a Comment