Saturday, March 22, 2014

"From One who is Never Down Hearted" C.Anderson

Right address 22nd Coy 2 nd M. Gunn Batt


France 17.7.18


Dear Colina just a line wishing this to find you the same as it leaves me at present.

I received a big bundle of letters today, they were all dated feb and march. I have had April mail a good few days ago but this lot was sent to the 10th M.G.Coy on account of me going to the 22cd M.G. Coy. You see, I am in a divisional Coy now, that is how my mail has been so long in turning up. You have no idea how our boys enjoy there (sic) mail. I look forward for nothing better than mail. I wright (sic) as often as I can, some times I forget who I do wright to. I am glad you received the handkerchiefs and cards, I cannot think of anything else to send and you can always get handkerchiefs  and nice little cards, you can just put them in an envelope and they are no more trouble. it is a risk sending anything of any value. I all ways think these little trifles will make you think that I still think of you friends I left behind. I often wonder what you all are doing. I bet things are on the quiet side in the old town. 


well judging (from) these confounded guns roaring old hun is not having a quiet time. He give us a rallie up last night with gas shells and H.E. shells but I am glad to say they were fruitless because he never got any of us. The old gas mask is not a bad friend. I do not take the least bit of notice of gas but according to the Hun prisoners  they lose a terrible (lot) of men from ours, as at present the French and our good old Pals the Yanks are giving him the bigest caneing up ever he got and our lads are bringing a bag of them in every night. My word the Ausies do put the wind up the beastly Boche. For weeks now the Australians name have appeared in the daily papers so you will have an Idea that we do not let the grass grow under our feet and I am very glad to say that since he stated his offence if he has not knocked us back one inch but we have pushed him back ever since March.  I have done my little share in this outfit.

  I have not seen Jack Collie for a long while, now when I get near the 37th I will try and find him. I lost one of my best Pals on the fourth of this month.  The night Tom got wounded, I was with Tom at the time, I did know any thing about it till I woke up all covered with blood and my body was all black and blue.  I asked what became of Tom and they told me they had sent him to hospital.I was on a strecher in the field Ambulance where they took us.  They wanted to send me to hospital but I would not go ! I wanted to see how my mates got on and see what damage we done to the beastly boche.  I got a shock when I found out my little friend was killed. He was on the same gun as me and all so our section officer, one of the whitest men that ever wore a sambrown (?) We took a Cross to their grave yesterday.

I sent Doll the slip of paper with the account of the battle. We took 1400 hun that night. The last I remember was putting a burst from our Machine gun into about dozen beastly Boche. Well needless to say, they are at present were all good niggers go. 

it is tray Bon sport on the old M.Gun when you get  such a good target so close we must get rid of the brutal huns and the old diggers are the boys to put them in their place. Well  Colina I don’t know that I should tell you about fixing these huns but you must have an idea what we do and what we are here to do. There is nothing like the plain facts. We are not hard hearted. These things must be done. I must say this war has not made the lease bit of difference to me.  I do my duty honestly and I am proud to say that I have not got one mark or crime against me. I have played this game so far and I intend to, right to the end. I am here at my own risk and I am not in the least sorry. 

 Well Colina you said perhaps I lost my wallet,  no I still hang to that.  I get a good many letters from Cathie Spence I had one last week saying she expects Son over anytime now they are getting married very soon now.  I will very likely be over at the time I am going on leave in a few days I will tell you what bonny Scotland is like.  I intend to have a Tray Bon time. I have not started to smoke yet you said I would in trench life but I have since the 17/march 1917 and have came out of it yet.

well I must ring off from one who is never down hearted

 

(Ed note:  end of letter is in drawn margins at the top of the page)

Tom is doing well Rueb is in England Don and Will well.

From yours Sincerely Charles Anderson











No comments:

Post a Comment