Friday, March 14, 2014

"Plenty in Rushworth to take his place" C.Anderson

4/2/18

Somewhere in Belgium

 

Dear Colina just a short note as I wrote you a long letter in a green envelope I hope you get it I was very please to get your letter dated 26 nov, and glad you got the cards and Photos you ort to get more yet.  I will send you some better ones when I got to Blighty as you cannot get any good ones in this part of the world.  Rueben Don and Tom are out for a rest I am dodging the shells but we cannot dodge the mud it is no Bon now the weather has been fairly good this last few days but the nights are very cold.  I hope to have a good spell when I come out this time.  I will send Lucy a photo next month I do not think I have missed to many of your letters and I can do with all the mail I can get it to France.  I met Jim McLeod he did know that his Brother was killed till he came down to see us I was the first one he met but I never told him I let him go down to the 37th Batt Jim is in the hospital at present I went up to the 7th Batt to see him but he was sent to hospital I would like to see him sent home he has had a good cut now he has been over here close on 3 (?) years now They are plenty in Rushworth to take his placeMacardlesHowes and ONeals I dont know how they can lift there heads and talk to people that has Brothers or Sons over here I would like to see them over here for a few hours it would wake them up any how I don’t think we will want them I hope

 

(Ed note: End of this letter is missing.  It was incorrectly filed together with a letter from Don Anderson presumably as they were both pencil written and looked similar, however, transcription of the contents and closer inspection of the handwriting reveals they are from 2 different people and unfortunately the end of Charlie’s and the beginning of Don’s letters are both missing)

 



No comments:

Post a Comment