Saturday, March 22, 2014

"Dodging the Old Iron Foundries" C. Anderson


France 10/5/18
Pte CG Anderson
22nd MG Coy
A.I.F.

 Dear Colina,
Just a line  wishing this to find you all as well as it leaves me at present. The weather is Tray Bon over hear now. This is a lovely place where I am at present. All the Beech trees are beautiful, they are all pretty green, they (sic) are some lovely forests about and they are better still in Belgium where those beastly Boche have rein and the lovely little farms all smashed to atoms. They will answer for all there (sic) terrible crimes. People in Australia have not the slightest idea what those poor Belgium and french people have to go through. I can tell you, it is heart breaking to see their pretty little homes shelled to peaces (sic). Where old couples have reared their families and lived a peaceful life. Well it will all come right in time. Us Machine Gunners have payed them Boche back for some of their cruel doings but not as much as they are going to get. All the old Ausy Boys are still in good form and cheerful no matter where they are, you never see them down hearted. If you sing out to a battalion or a crowd of Ausy lads 'Are you downhearted?', you will hear a great roar of No! That is the right way to be. I never lose any sleep over this show, it must come right in time and then for the good old times.
I suppose you have a fatted calf for us, for the five of us will eat you all out of house and home. I only way (sic) 12 stone, 8 lb now so I have gained weight on the army rations pork and beans. Ha, for the good old roast again. Colina don't you think some of them fellows ort to have their feet warm by now, you know you can do with a few jockeys to have a ride in our next handicap . I am a little overweight but I will have to keep the ball bouncing anyway. T is good sport dodging the old iron foundries and taking cover from those big birds that fly around and drop eggs on you, but our birds have the upper hand. You often see a (sic) air fight and you see the Hun drop down in flames. Well Colina I have no more to say tonight, I am going to the pictures in a few seconds so I must ring off.
I will send you some views of this place as soon as I get down to the town. Well so long, keep the home fires burning.
My best wishes from
Yours Sincerely
Charles
2641






No comments:

Post a Comment