Monday, March 10, 2014

"Cracked" C.Anderson

France 15.10.17

Dear Colina just a line hoping this to find you in the best of health I am sorry to say I am in the Hospital I got a Crack on the foot and one on the back as far as I know the other Boys are all right Rueben was boxing on when I left to go to the dressing station it was a terrible day raining very heavy I pittied the poor Boys in the mud and rain aspecialy the poor lads that was wounded and could not walk I managed to walk to the dressing station but anyone that could not walk had a chance to lay out all night in rain and mud it is heartbreaking to see such fine lads laying wounded I done my best to help everyone I could through the mud you could see men stuck in the mud and had to be pulled out in all the war this was the worst of all we done great work as you have read in the papers I was in all the last pushes until I got cracked Rueben was with me up till a hour before I left I hope he is all right now I hope they are having a rest now they have ernt it I am proud I am a Australian Soldier it was a picture to see how boys charge the huns brought them down all ways I have answered for more than one hun I hope god will forgive me it is hard to kill but it has to be done Rueben is a good Soldier he got the wind up some of the huns one of the boys in my (bag?) took a m.Gunfrom the huns on his own and killed 6 huns he got recommended for a V.C. the lad himself got killed the same day I hope he gets the V.C. it will be somethink for his People to look for it is impossible to explain what it is like in this battle field they are huns laying everywhere we killed thousands and took many hundred prisoners as how boys wont take too many prisoners I don’t Blame them this is a very (indecipherable word) life but we never growl we (indecipherable word) the task that is befor us and that Duty we must perform we have lost many a brave lad this last 10 or 12 days I am not sorry I came when you pop over the top under a sky of steal and Huns running everywhere to see the boys laughing and singing out to Fritzy it is good sport but when we are dug in it is a different tale to tell.  He put over a few iron foundrys then but he cannot shift the Australians or N.Gs(?) they stop fritzy and put the wind up him well Colina I am giving this letter to the Boys that is going to Blightyto rest.  I met Don and Tom just before the last battle I think They came out all right Rueben is a bit to Dareinghe don’t care for any think well I have very little news to tell you so I will ring off wishing you the best of luck

From Yours

Faithfully

Charles Anderson









2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where Charles describes the actions of the soldier killed in action and recommended for the Victoria Cross, it sounds like he actions of Robert MacTier, who was post humously awarded the VC.

    ReplyDelete