Monday, March 10, 2014

"A Good Harvest" L. Spence

Hurdcott England

Aug 6.17

 

Dear Colina,

I received your welcome letter last week.  I was pleased to here (sic) that you are all well as it leave(s) me the same.  You was saying that you went to Bendigo on Easter Monday, well you enjoy(ed) the day better than I did.  I was in hosp at the time & was to go out to a party for the day only it snow all in the morning & the sister would not let me go, so it will give you an idea what sort of weather we have over here.  We have had good weather over here since the beging (sic) of May but it will soon start to get cold again about the end of the month.

There seems that there going to be a good harvest over here as the crops are looking wll up to the present.  That is if there is not a lot of rain come before they are ripe.  I nock (sic) them down.  They are years behind the times in there farm work here.  I don't know half them would make a living if they went to Aus & started on a farm.  They are the last to get out of their own road.

 

You was saying that Lucy was home again.  I suppose she will soon get tired of that & be off on another trip for awhile as it will be to quiet for her after being in the shop & having all the boys to give the glad eye to.  I had a letter from Cathie the other day & she was saying that her friend J. Gabout was still in England.  He was to go up to see them but (h)as not got there yet.  I suppose Alex (h)as been up to see you all by this time & told you all about your Scotch cousin & also all the nice girls he left behind in England.  He told me in one of his letters that he had one waiting for him in Aus  so the next thing I will be hearing that he is married.  Well good luck to him.

 

They have started to make another big push & are driving the Germans back so if they keep it up till end of the month we might see the end of it by Oct.  That is if continue (ed note:  can't read word inserted above here.  Looks like 'to be -something- weather) if we don't get any rain to prevent them.  It ('s) into the fourth year so it('s) about time it was over.

 

Well that is all the news at present.  Remember me to all with the best of luck

From your Cousin Les





No comments:

Post a Comment