Monday, March 10, 2014

"Lucy's Game" D. Anderson

France

Sept. 9/19/17

 

Dear Colina

Just a few lines to let you know that we are all doing well at present so hoping this will find you all the same we are having a short spell of fine weather but I don’t know how long it will last I received the letters you wrote in June & I answered them last month so I hope you have got them by now I will send you something for you birthday for old time sake but I don’t know what date your birthday is on so if it is not to (sic) late when you get it it will do for a Xmas Box As I will be sending Doll something as well I cannot  send them yet so I will have to wait till we get to a town again.  I hope it wont be long we are getting leave to Paris now & I don’t want to go there till I come back from Scotland.  There was two out of eight to get leave last week so we had a draw to see who was to go but my luck was out so now I’ll have to wait awhile longer now I have wrote two letters to Lucy but have got no answer yet.  So tell her to shake herself up & drop a line now & again & tell us how Albert is getting on but I sopose she as give him a go by be this as she getting an old hand at the game now but I sopose she as a good time with them she will have to toss up to see wich one she will have.  Out of the lot Claire  Mc has not turned up since & I have never hird how he is getting on & I don’t think he would stand much of this game as you want to be able to stand anything & battle for your self & care for nothing it’s the only way to get on at this game but I like to get some of the new fellows with me if they are on the frighten side & get up some jokes on them & they call me all the hard hearted cows they can think of but I enjoy the fun & it’s the best way to break in the new colts in the trenches of a dark night.  We have only bread & jam for tea to night & its Sunday so our old tucker box is getting low so mycobbers are waiting till I finish this note and then we are going out to pinch some potatoes for tea as we have some bulley beef & we will make a good old stew bread and jam is no bon for us lot if there is anything to be got will get it.  Well Colina I must draw this scribble to a close as the lads are waiting for me & they are telling me to write this and that so I will be putting something in they are saying if I don’t finish so by by 

And the best of luck

From Don

 

Upside down P.S.

I have put in a note for you to give Hugh Fraser





No comments:

Post a Comment