Monday, March 10, 2014

"On the Canal" Jack G

Feb 16.2.1916

 

Dear Colina,

Just a few lines in answer to your ever welcome letter I received yesterday.  I had a letter from Lucy the same time.  I had been in the hospital but I have been better about three months now.  I met your cousin Chris Cameron over at Lemnos (Ed:  I think this is what the word is) Island.  He was – (Ed note:  can't decipher) in the 9th (ed note:  ??) but when all the Non Coms of the Reinf (ed: ?) gets so all the Btn they all drop their stripes.  There is a grand rumour going about that we are all going to be ut into other battallions.  I think by all accounts that I will be put in the 60 Btn but I am not sure.  I will know in another few days.  I hope you had a good time when you were away on a holiday. I met my brother Tom the first day I got back to Egypt from Anzac.  We went to enter a camp at Tel el-kiber (ed note:  I don't know if I have depichered this properly) about 60 miles from Cairo.  We stopped there about 5 weeks and then we came down to the Canal.  I am on police duty right down on the canal.  There are a lot of boats that go through every day.  Well Colina, that is all that I can think of this time, so I will draw this note to a close.  Hoping that it finds you in the best of health.

Fond love from

Yours affectionately,

Jack G

 

 (Ed note: jack G could be anyone, but it is probable that he was a Guthrie cousin. The reason that this letter is out of chronological order is because the person who originally took the letters from the envelopes, sometime in the last 20 years, accidentally placed this in with another letter from someone else)



No comments:

Post a Comment