Monday, March 10, 2014

"Doing our Bit" C.Anderson

France 18/9/17

Dear Colina just a line wishing this find you in the best of health as it leaves me at present I am sending you axmas card they are all getting cards now just get over in time for xmas you cannot get any good cards so I am sending you this one I will send them all once you can get a photo off Doll I sent them all to Doll so you can get one from her.  They are a little better than the last I sent you.  I am getting some more I have a group of us 5th(indecipherable word, looks like Ricents) and me and Rueben and some mates of ours and another one of me sitting in a chair I will send you one of each  I had a letter from Doll I sent her two Photos of me Rueb and Tom But she said she never got them Mary Cameron got hers Les Spence is not back yet last xmas I was on the Water I sopose I will have my Dinner under the shells this xmas 

well Colina I hope this War won’t last much longer it is no Bon.  Well Colina we are doing our bit and I doing my best to keep the good name of the Australian soldiers and I am proud I am an Australian.  You don’t know how good Dear old ausey  is till you come over this side of the World.  Well I don’t go (indecipherable word, could be nap or rasp) on France I will tell you how they live.  The Farm House is one long building the People live in the middle the cows and pigs and fowls at one end and the other the stable the kitchen doors open onto the stable there is big hole in the front of the house they empty all their rubbish into it they are very Dirty People we generally billedted in the hay sheds when we are out resting.  Well I have no more news to tell you so I will ring off wishing you the best of luck

From Pte Charles Anderson





No comments:

Post a Comment